GNU Midnight Commander is a visual file manager, licensed under GNU General Public License and therefore qualifies as Free Software. It's a feature rich full-screen text mode application that allows you to copy, move and delete files and whole directory trees, search for files and run commands in the subshell. Internal viewer and editor are included.
Source Midnight Commander: https://www.midnight-commander.org/wiki/NEWS-4.8.13
Midnight Commander is based on versatile text interfaces, such as Ncurses or S-Lang, which allows it to work on a regular console, inside an X Window terminal, over SSH connections and all kinds of remote shells.
- First Backspace/Delete? is ignored after mouse click in an input widget (#3225)
- Recursive find file doesn't work on Samba share (#3097)
- Recursive find file doesn't work on Windows NFS share (#3202)
- Incorrect file counter in move operation (#3196, #3209)
- "Directory scanning" window is too narrow (#3162)
- Colon is not recognized inside escape seq in prompt (#3241)
- Quick view doesn't grab focus on mouse click (#3251)
- fish subshell: overridden prompt (#3232, #3237)
- mcviewer: broken switch between raw and parse modes (#3219)
- mcviewer: incorrect percentage in mcview hex mode (#3258)
- RAR VFS incorrectly recognizes UnRAR version (#3240)
- viewbold and viewselected are missing from some skins (#3244)
- Incorrect enconding name for manual page (#3239)
- "User menu -> View manual page" doesn't do coloring (#3243)
To Install Midnight Commander just run the following Commands via your systems Terminal.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eugenesan/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mc